Monday, July 30, 2018

Stalking Jack the Ripper

Title: Stalking Jack the Ripper
Author: Kerri Maniscalco
Genre: YA fantasy, YA mystery/thriller
Release Date: September 20, 2016
Dates Read: 7/23/2018-7/28/2018
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper (book 1)

Fear is a hungry beast. The more you feed it, the more it grows. 

I have been wanting to read this book ever since its release but was nervous about reading it. I hadn't really heard a lot of things about this book. What I did hear was good, however. Then this past June, Stephanie Garber was having a signing. Her special guest was Kerri Maniscalco. I decided to pick up Stalking Jack the Ripper and Hunting Prince Dracula, and I am so glad I did.

Our main protagonist is Audrey Rose Wadsworth. She isn't your typical Victorian young lady. Audrey Rose refuses to accept the social customs of women at that time.

Pretend I am as capable as a man? Please, sir, do not value me so little! 

She would rather have her hands inside of a cadaver than have her pinky raised high at high tea. Much to her father's dismay, she spends most of her time assisting her uncle in his autopsies, which is an abhorrent pastime for a lady. 

There she meets Mr. Thomas Cresswell. Though he has brains that rival those of Miss Wadsworth, Thomas is arrogant, brash, and outgoing, which irritates Audrey Rose to no end.

Thomas smiled at my eye roll, puffing his chest up and standing with one foot proudly resting on a chair as if posing for a portrait. “I don’t blame you, I am rather attractive. The tall, dark hero of your dreams, swooping in to save you with my vast intellect. You should accept my hand at once. 

Soon they find themselves dragged into the investigation of a series of horrific murders, each one worse than the last. They must work quickly to find the answer to the question that all of London is asking, who is Jack the Ripper? The answer may come dangerously close to her sheltered world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Capturing the Devil

Title: Capturing the Devil Author: Kerri Maniscalco Genre: YA Mystery Release Date: September 10, 2019 Date Read: April 29, 2020 Rati...